b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the value of loanwords was qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the value of loanwords was qohelet
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:18:10 +1000

Karl, your dinghy example misses my point. I'm not arguing that conquest has
to be the foundation for loanwords to start moving around. I'm arguing that
meaningful contact does. That might be conquest, but it could just as easily
be trade, or something else. But when it comes to Persia and Judah, the *most
plausible* for such exchange is the Persian Era. I'm not ruling out the
*possibility* that these words entered before the Persian Era, but rather
that it is less likely than the Persian Era. There is proof that Persia and
Judah had exchanges in the Persian Era, but no evidence whatsoever to my
knowledge of anything before then. So, in terms of evidential likelihood,
Persian Era is still more likely than any time before.

Do you have anything substantial to point to that might indicate some kind of
meaningful sustained contact between Judah and Persia before the Persian Era?
If you don't, then your argument remains purely in the realm of speculation.
In my books, that makes it much less plausible than the argument for a
Persian Era date for Qohelet, which has some historical substance.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au