b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qohelet
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:41:38 -0700

George:

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> The key word Karl uses in his message is 'assume'.

Thanks for catching me on it, the proper term is “conclude” based on the
language used.

> Yes, many people 'assume' Solomon wrote it, but he is nowhere named in the
> book. As
> And what is missing from Karl's message is a third possibility on
> authorship: that it is not a fraud at all, but a highly crafted piece of
> literature written by someone in the Persian Era, taking on the persona of
> Solomon in the early chapters for rhetorical effect. I don't know why Karl
> refuses to acknowledge even the possibility of this third option, but there
> you go.
>
> I repeatedly have asked you for what signs are there in the text or around
it that show that this third possibility was a recognized literary genre in
ancient times, and you have failed to give me one sign. All you have is one
Persian word, only one, which could have been passed on by visitors from
either Israel visiting Medeo-Persia, or visa versa while Solomon was king.
We have those signs in modern literature, and when they are deliberately
withheld by the author, we call it fraud.

I have not ruled out your theory à priori, rather I have concluded that your
theory is nothing based on no evidence,