b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 06:58:23 -0700

Martin:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM, <bhebrew AT shields-online.net> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> The most obvious "clue" is the absence of an explicit identification by the
> speaker who instead adopts the title "Qohelet." Why not use the name
> Solomon? It is used in other literature purported to be by Solomon.

This question was already discussed.

We find that famous ancient persona were often designated by numerous names.
This practice is most known for the Egyptian pharaohs, but there is no
reason to assume that other ancient mid-eastern kings did not also adopt the
same practice. Solomon’s use of QHLT could have been a known nickname in his
time that has been lost over time except in this book.

> The other problem is, of course, that such clues as you demand can be quite
> subtle and easily "lost in translation" (by which I mean lost in the expanse
> of time between the text's composition and our reception of it).
>
> Possible. But improbable based on shorter examples that have survived where
there is no question where the taking on of another’s persona for rhetorical
impact have survived, such as Jesus’ parables.