b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: bhebrew AT shields-online.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 05:51:50 UT

Karl,

The most obvious "clue" is the absence of an explicit identification by the
speaker who instead adopts the title "Qohelet." Why not use the name Solomon?
It is used in other literature purported to be by Solomon. The other problem
is, of course, that such clues as you demand can be quite subtle and easily
"lost in translation" (by which I mean lost in the expanse of time between
the text's composition and our reception of it).

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.