b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 81, Issue 11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Daniel Buck <bucksburg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 81, Issue 11
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:05:57 -0700 (PDT)

Quoting Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>:

>> So what is the origin of the root R(Y? The  Ugaritic and Akkadian evidence
>> show that the root
> existed in the days of Solomon. What its core meaning and references were
> in the Hebrew
> language in the 10th century B.C.E. we simply do not know. Could this root
> or a similar one have
> been used in the sense "striving" in the 10th century? That can of course
> not be ruled out.>

I don't know a whole lot about Ugaritic, Akkadian, or Aramaic, but I do know
that this same root ra`y in classical Arabic has as its core meaning "to
shepherd."  Related meanings that derive from it (many of them similar to
those in B-hebrew) are to graze (transitive), to care for, to protect, to
watch over, to keep, to provide for, to have regard for, to have custody of,
to sponsor, to be attentive to, to take into consideration.

What's interesting regarding B-Hebrew is the classical English  rendering of
the predicate plural noun in Numbers 14:33, "your children shall wander [mg:
or feed] in the wilderness forty years." (Geneva note: The word signifies to
be shepherds, or to wander like shepherds to and fro.)  This reading,
retained in several of the modern versions, is the only time it is so
translated, the implication being that as shepherds in the desert they would
have to lead a nomadic existence until God let them enter the fertile land of
Canaan (as shepherds in Goshen they had stayed in the lush pastures of the
Nile delta). There would always be manna to sustain them in the desert, but
their flocks and herds would repeatedly require a move to fresh pasture at
some new oasis.

Now, in Ecclesiates, the words re`uwth and ra`yown seem to be used in the
context of "chasing after the wind" (NIV). I can definitely see a connection
here, of being a metaphysical wanderer, always seeking some new source of
existential satisfaction but quickly exhausting it and going on back on the
search for more.

Daniel Buck