b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 01:17:06 -0700

Randall:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I would call Qohelet and
> > 4QMMT two different dialects of proto-mishnaic Hebrew on the one
> > hand, or simply 'mishnaic Hebrew' when speaking broadly.
> >
> >You have made this statement a few times, and I am just now getting around
> to calling you on it.
> >Are you claiming that Qohelet is a document authored
> during the second temple period?>
>
> Yes, Qohelet is a Second Temple document.

In other words, you deny its historical references to have been written by a
king who was quite rich and wise.

> 'pitgam' is Second Temple,

Look at the context of Qohelet 8:11, it is not clear that that is the
Aramaic word PTGM and not an otherwise unknown word PTG with the 3rd masc.
plural suffix.

> 'pardes' is Second Temple.

Not necessarily. True it is a Persian loan word, but it referred to a
particular type of royal garden, and it is possible that Solomon imported
the word along with the concept.

> the preponderance of she- 'that' (70xx)

Known in Hebrew before first temple, e.g. variant reading for Genesis 49:10
also so translated LXX.

> and the frequent use of ve-qatal (50xx) instead of vayyixtov is 'low
> dialect' not just
> Second Temple, and lines up with mishnaic Hebrew.
>
> Or the structure of spoken first temple era Hebrew is less known than we
like to boast.