b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lexical question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lexical question
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 19:58:23 +0100

Looking at the Syriac translations might be interesting.

James Christian

Quoting K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>:

James:

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:37 AM, James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

So what do you think Karl? Do you think the verses you quoted with the
sense of pouring have some common meaning with what you have proposed? Or do
you think they can be reduced to a homograph with variant pronunciation when
vowels are added?

Yes I think the verses that have the meaning of “pouring” do have common
meaning. The reasons for such are:

In looking at the binyanim, I see them as having lexical import as modifiers
of action. Qal is a simple active, Niphal a simple passive, Piel a stative
verb with Pual its passive, Hiphil a causative with Hophal its passive, with
Hitpoel a reflexive onto the subject. Those are the most common. I have
found time and time again that when I pay attention to the binyanim that
what often appears to be different actions often show a commonality of
action.

Translation is not meaning. All translation is to a certain amount a
paraphrase, all of it, because different languages do not have exact
equivelants. Right now, I understand $WQ as referring to being out (and
about) but to say in English that a press causes oil or must to be out does
not communicate in English. Though it does in Hebrew. “Pouring” is a
paraphrase, but it communicates in English. Further, it is the result of a
press causing the fluids to be out.

While I can’t 100% rule out a homograph, the commonality of action as
modified by the binyanim seem to point to a commonality of lexical origin.

It's a little frustrating and disappointing that the claimant that these
are homonyms hasn't come back with the relevant cognate evidence. That could
have been interesting to look at.

It would have been interesting.

James Christian