b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 31
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:43:22 -0700

Jay:
I don’t know who this Robert Alter is, it doesn’t really matter.

Looking at the text, he is wrong. )XR has the meaning of being behind,
following after another when the two are going together.

In verse 11 we have the prefix M- indicating that Saul was no longer
following after God. So in contrast, verse 31 has that Samuel turned back
(he was leaving) following Saul back to the altar where Saul bowed down to
the Lord. (Interestingly, come to think of it, the text does not say that
Samuel bowed down.)

I don’t know how any translations render the verses, I don’t have any handy
to check up. But the Hebrew text indicates that Samuel followed Saul back to
the altar.

Karl W. Randolph.