b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6, believe/ faith, as it relates to common usage in science

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Teague" <cosmos AT intergate.com>
  • To: "b-Hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6, believe/ faith, as it relates to common usage in science
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:09:45 -0500

Dear Rolf Furuli and list members:

I had earlier requested information from Rolf Furuli about the research he
had done. Perhaps the request was outside of the scope of this list.

I hope that this question is more appropriate:

Since the word "faith" is sometimes used by scientists ("With solid faith
that laws of the small should fit together into a coherent whole, physicists
are relentlessly hunting down the elusive unified theory." Brain Greene, The
Elegant Universe, page 386), Does the biblical Hebrew word translated as
"faith" (Gen. 15:6, The New American Bible... "believe" according to most
others) engage the ideas that scientists intend (as above) when they invoke
faith?

My understanding of Greene's words is that physicists note the tendencies in
the evidence and develop a strong belief about what they will find in the
end, even though there is, at present, no direct observational or
experimental experience for the belief upon which they can rely.

Although I have an opinion, I accept my limitations and would therefore
appreciate list members comments.

Thank you,

Steve Teague