b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6, believe/ faith, as it relates to common usage in science

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Steve Teague" <cosmos AT intergate.com>, "b-Hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6, believe/ faith, as it relates to common usage in science
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:40:33 -0700

Dear Steven,

The use of "faith" in Genesis 15:6 is consistent with how it is used in ALL of
the Tanakh. Knowledge and faith go hand in hand. Both are required for
coherence. The difference is that knowledge will take a person only so far
along
the line, while faith continues along that line.

Abram had been led by God to Canaan in obedience to His Promise. Second, even
when Abram lied about Sarah, God protected Abram in Egypt. Abram was blessed
by
God in Genesis 13 after the split with Lot. He was protected by God when he
chased after the captured Lot and the return of the captured goods to
Melchizedek, the priest of he Most High God in Genesis 14.

Genesis 15 begins with the Promise of God to Abram about the size of Abram's
descendants. Thus, Abrams, "belief" in God to do what He "PROMISED." Entirely
consistent upon the facts/knowledge of God at that point.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III