b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cancellable dynamicity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cancellable dynamicity
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 06:35:28 +0200

Dear Yitzak,

You should read a few books of elementary linguistics. In any language we can speak of grammatical and ungrammatical expressions. There are unchangeable (synchronic) rules that govern the use of language, and many words have properties that cannot be changed. If this were not true, communication between individuals would be very difficult. To deny that there are unchangeable properties in any language simply is ridiculous.

So the arguments against this that you and David Kummerow have presented betrays a lack of elementary linguistic knowledge. This is a discussion list of BH, so let us get back to the Hebrew language.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo