b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] wayyomer as imperfective aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] wayyomer as imperfective aspect
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:56:24 +1000

Hi Vadim,

What you've done is what Rolf did -- just state that wayyomer as a WAYIQTOL form is imperfect(ive) (I take it that by "imperfect" you meant "imperfective aspect, no?). There's no proof given to substantiate this point for those of use who cannot see as you see.

So again my question: Can you demonstrate for us how wayyomer in BH is
imperfective in aspect?

Thanks,
David Kummerow.

Sorry for the intrusion. While I don't necessarily support everything Rolf says, I think that wayyomer is generally (perhaps, always) imperfect. In order to see the examples, you need to account for the deictic center shift. With that in mind, just every instance becomes imperfect.

Vadim Cherny