b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:52:14 +1000

Karl W. Randolph.

Ps: I’m not going to play David Kummerow’s game anymore.

Hi Karl,

I'm playing no games -- all I've been trying to do is press you to consistently the principal that semantics is uncancellable meaning can be maintained.

I've suggested that this cannot be the case with "plod" in English that I hear. You misconstrue what I say and don't answer the question that if "plod" has semantics, what is it's so-called uncancellable meaning?

Now, you dismissed it as non-standard use. But still the question remains: what is the semantics of "plod" in such a use? If this question cannot be answered, the theory of semantics as uncancellable meaning is called into question.

Then I presented a couple of examples from two different languages (not dialects or "non-standard" use!) which you asked for (!) where it is extremely difficult to discern an uncancellable meaning across usages. And you simply step out of the discussion at that point. So again, if semantics as uncancellable meaning cannot be demonstrated in these examples, the theory of semantics as uncancellable meaning is called into question. That's what I've been maintaining all along. That was the main point of my review. Both you and Rolf simply dodge these issues. I can only see the same old thing that always happens on this list with members who have non-standard views: evidence which challenges their view is disregarded and ignored. What I take from that in this case is that the refusal to treat actual language evidence and provide treatment of it is that it actually cannot be done -- which is why it hasn't been done -- and so the theory of semantics as uncancellable meaning is in reality linguistically indefensible.

Regards,
David Kummerow.