b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:52:28 +1000

David:

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:27 PM, David Kummerow<farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> So dialects don't have semantics, is that what you're saying?

Are you stupid? Of course they do. Just different ones from those of
the standard language.

OK, good. Then please outline for me the uncancellable meaning of "plod" over the examples I gave. Of course, this might differ from your own "standard" use of English. That's fine. But if we are to have semantics as uncancellable meaning, then there must be an uncancellable meaning to "plod" (of course, I myself cannot see one, but I'm not the one wanting to defend a definition of semantics as uncancellable meaning). Or else the theory of uncancellable meaning isn't substantiated.

And why don't you still want to comment upon the Lyélé and Udihe examples? You wanted me to provide non-dialect examples and I produced a couple for you. And now you refrain from trying to find an uncancellable meaning with them same as with "plod".

Regards,
David Kummerow.