b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] MLK (LM: %DYM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] MLK (LM: %DYM
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:30:53 -0700

James:

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:02 AM, James Read<J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> which vantage point do you suggest that Lot and Abraham used to decide which
> way to part company? This seems to be the only part of Jim's argument I can
> take seriously at the moment.

The text doesn’t say.

It is not unusual for the text when dealing with historical items to
mention one event, then immediately mention the next significant
event, even though a period of time may have intervened. It was
significant that Abraham returned to Bethel from Egypt, signifying
that he truly was back in the land. The next significant event was the
separating of Lot from Abraham: how much later? The text doesn’t say.
Could this latter event have happened at Hebron or some other more
southerly place? How much wandering did the two do together after
going to Bethel? The text is silent. The only thing we can say for
certain is that that was the next significant event after visiting
Bethel.