b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 12:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

Karl:

> I consider radiometric dating, including C14, as neither
> science nor proof.

What would you accept as science or proof that Thutmose III is significantly
earlier than the 10th century BCE?

> Are you saying that Thutmose III, instead of being from the
> 15th century BC,
> really lived in the 17th century BC, that the modern
> reconstruction of
> Egyptian dates is two centuries too young?

No, I'm saying the eruption of Thera happened in the late 17th century BCE.
Pumice from the explosion was subsequently collected at Tell el-Daba, Egypt.
This pumice and a scarab of Thutmose III were found in the same stratum at
Tell el-Daba. It is possible some time separates the eruption and from the
pumice and the scarab being deposited in the stratum, but clearly not several
centuries. So we might need to move Thutmose III slightly higher, perhaps
mid-to-late 16th century (there is a debate), but the evidence in no way
points in the direction of the 10th century. But I must ask, again, what
would you accept as proof that Thutmose III is not later than the 15th
century BCE?

Tory Thorpe