b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] sophit letters f/u on ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] sophit letters f/u on ayin
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

Vadim,
I have a book The Early History of the Alphabet by Joseph Naveh.  On page 67
he states, "the curved diagoal strokes of the kaf, mem, nun and pe are
cursive developments."  Unless I am misunderstanding him and the diagrams in
his book, what he is saying is that the original forms of these lettes are
the sophit forms and that, overtime, the primary and medial position forms
developed naturally because the tendency in writing cursive is to run the
last part of the previous letter into or toward the following letter.  Hence
the downward strokes of these letters curved upward.  There is no indication
from him that this was anything more than an epigraphic phenomena.  No
indication that it had anything to do with phonetics.  I am a lay person and
I have no idea how his ideas have been received or whether he is considered
an authority in his field.  Just thought you would be interested.

Thank you for your response to my posting,

david kolinsky
Monetery, CA

Hebrew certainly has the features of place-sensitive phonetics: the
sophits. They are written differently because they were pronounced
differently in the word-end position. Clearly, pronouncing final m, n, c
is not an easy job.

Vadim Cherny