b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A new list is definitely needed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A new list is definitely needed
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:18:04 -0500

John,
I'd like to add my voice to the chorus contemplating the creation of a new list. IMHO, b-hebrew
has drifted from its original intent. It has now largely become the "Use and misuse semitic
languages to argue about Biblical history" list instead of the "Ask questions about
Biblical Hebrew language and syntax" list. B-greek is a wonderful example of a list that
has maintained its original focus on Biblical Greek language and syntax, largely due to the firm
but benign dictatorship of its moderator, Carl Conrad.

So let me challenge the moderators. Are you willing to exercise some discipline and return to
the original conception of the list? Or should some of us simply form a new list (called
"Reformed B-Hebrew" or "B-Hebrew-Language") and switch our list memberships
accordingly?

HH: I have not been following the discussions lately, but this thread title caught my eye. Your assumption is flawed concerning the original or essential purpose of B-Hebrew. There is nothing contrary to the list purposes to discuss biblical history in conjunction with semitic languages. The website is not supposed to limit itself to questions about biblical Hebrew language and syntax. Here is the first statement about the list when one goes to the website hosting it: "B-Hebrew is an e-mail conference of academic professionals, teachers, students, clergy and laity, people of any faith, devoted to a better understanding of the Hebrew Bible. As such we often discuss a variety of topics related to the Biblical languages, the history of the text and its study, the culture of the Ancient Near East, the literary analysis of the Hebrew Bible, and more."

You can see for yourself at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

John M. Linebarger, PhD (Computer Science)
Albuquerque, NM, USA