b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Origin of the Phillistines

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Origin of the Phillistines
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 21:42:07 +1000

James,

I'm not sure if you realise, but there are very few people (if any) who
seriously challenge the idea that the Philistines are the Pereset of Ramesses
III's account of the invasion of the Sea Peoples in c.1176 BC. Not only is it
a good linguistic match between Egyptian and Hebrew, but the archaeological
record supports the identification (see the production of Mycenean IIIB ware
in the Levant). This is a basic datum of the historical record. It actually
provides a very firm external point of verification for the Philistines,
making the hypothesis I described previously anything but circular reasoning.
Only if you reject the Philistine=Pereset identification could you possibly
see it as circular reasoning. And if you do reject the identification, you'd
have to show good reason why - which would probably have to take the form of
newly discovered evidence. The hypothesis stands on good solid ground - not a
'shaky foundation' at all. It's not 'my' theory - it's the basic wisdom of
the academy at the moment.

It seems you have a bit of history to brush up on, James. Before then, you
might want to think again about lambasting some of the most basic ideas in
the field.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au