b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origin
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 23:49:35 +0100

Sorry, I was working from memory.

Yes, indeed. Robert Henry Charles represented the mainstream view before the discovery of the DSS. As you rightly show he dates to late second century BCE.

However, the general point is still the same. Thanks for the correction, though. Do keep correcting me if I make any more slip ups. I'm new to Jubilees myself but am interested in putting it to the test to see how much of it we can trust.

James Christian

Quoting Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>:

You just did it again. We simply do not know this. The 'mainstream'
view was that Jubilees was authored in CE. Since the discovery of the
DSS this view has been abandoned and the new 'mainstream' view is
considerably different. No doubt, if we found some older manuscripts
there would be an even newer 'mainstream' view. While I don't, as yet,
have an opinion of the age of Jubilees we simply do not know how old
it is.

James, I realize you have a point to make. But your presentation of
the book's authorship prior to the discovery of the DSS does not seem
to me to be accurate. See for example here, in the edition of the book
of Jubilees published 1917:
http://books.google.com/books?id=PuWw_Xji_VoC&pg=PA20
(also available here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/jub/jub07.htm )
So, how does that help in making your point?

Yitzhak Sapir