b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origin
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 01:01:01 +0300

> You just did it again. We simply do not know this. The 'mainstream'
> view was that Jubilees was authored in CE. Since the discovery of the
> DSS this view has been abandoned and the new 'mainstream' view is
> considerably different. No doubt, if we found some older manuscripts
> there would be an even newer 'mainstream' view. While I don't, as yet,
> have an opinion of the age of Jubilees we simply do not know how old
> it is.

James, I realize you have a point to make. But your presentation of
the book's authorship prior to the discovery of the DSS does not seem
to me to be accurate. See for example here, in the edition of the book
of Jubilees published 1917:
http://books.google.com/books?id=PuWw_Xji_VoC&pg=PA20
(also available here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/jub/jub07.htm )
So, how does that help in making your point?

Yitzhak Sapir