b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 16:42:46 +0300

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM, James Read wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> To the best of my recollection I haven't stated one. And rightly so. Because
> I don't, as yet, even have one.

Great, so now we can continue the discussion?

Even if you don't think yourself to have a position, you do seem to have one.
For example, you began the discussion by suggesting we postulate all kinds
of things. But those who respond may have a different point of view
that relates
to the question and do not necessarily want to postulate all those
assumptions, nor to debate you on them (in part, because it may
not be within the scope of the list). So those postulates become part of your
position in the debate even if not your position in general. Also, that claim
regarding how linguistics would view Spanish or Arabic based on a minority of
documents mistakes linguistic affiliation with historical affiliation. So
that
betrays a related position of yours in the debate even if not stated outright.
It's not bad. We all hold positions, even if we try to refrain from
stating them.

Yitzhak Sapir