b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] )BYMLK vs. Abimelech vs. Abi-Molech

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] )BYMLK vs. Abimelech vs. Abi-Molech
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:51:45 +1000

Jim,

Some gaps and problems with your thesis:

1. ABYMLK could simply mean "My father is king". This is a perfectly
acceptable name. I don't know why you've avoided it as a possibility.
2. Even if ABYMLK means "father of the king", it too would be a perfectly
acceptable name. The father of such a person called ABYMLK would merely be
implying by the name that he hopes for a dynasty to continue through his son
and grandson.
3. You haven't provided any evidence for equating Molech with 'Baal', which
is an honorific usually reserved for the Syrian/Phoenician deity Hadad.
4. Given point 3, there is no evident basis for placing the patriarchal
narrative in the Galilee.

Furthermore, given your previous posts, none of which has been convincing,
there is no good reason for transplanting the seemingly plainly evident
location of the majority of patriarchal narratives in the south of
Syria-Palestine. It seems extremely tendentious that a text has so many
'false positives' for the south, and so many intricately complex linguistic
sidesteps to obscure a truly northern location.

Let me put it another way: When you add a series of 'if' statements together,
you don't end up with a plausible theory, but rather an ever weakening view
with a slim chance of being right.

If = plausible
If + If = possible
If + If + If = a long shot
If + If + If + If = tendentious
If + If + If + If +If = you're joking, right?
If + If + If + If + If + If = parallel universe (aka science fiction)

Jim, let me ask you to do something. Could you confirm to the list that you
would like the patriarchal narratives to be set in northern Palestine, rather
than southern Palestine, and that most evidence will not sway you from your
view?

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au