b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] pronunciation of waw-consecutive of hyh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michiel Borkent <michielborkent AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] pronunciation of waw-consecutive of hyh
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:18:52 +0200

I wondered what the explanation for the pronunciation of waw-consecutive of
hyh, being wayehi (vocal swa) in for example Genesis 1:5 is.
The yod is not doubled here and the swa is vocal. Normally I would expect a
doubling of the yod and then the vocal swa would make sense to me, but now
it doesn't.

I tried to find it in my grammar book and it said that with waw-consecutive
with yod, tav and nunyou have 'secondary doubling' that possibly later is
cancelled. Is that the case here and how?