b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Semantic Range of QD$ (Holy)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Semantic Range of QD$ (Holy)
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:18:41 -0800

Some references that support the connotation of QD$ as "separate", as per Karl:

Lev.20:26 And you shall be holy unto me: for I YHWH am holy, and have separated [AVDIL] you from the peoples, that you should be mine.

Ex.3:5 "holy ground" -- an area demarcated from surrounding grounds

also: many references to holy Sabbath -- a day set apart from other days

I would also suggest that "separate" in such cases at the same time connotes "extraordinary", as opposed to the mundane or ordinary. This is a bridge to the connotation of "sacred" as we understand it.

Gabe Eisenstein