b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Semantic Range of QD$ (Holy)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Semantic Range of QD$ (Holy)
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:21:41 -0800

Gad:

What I don’t like about the translation “sanctify” is that the present
English use that I have seen is limited to the theological realm. On the
other hand, my understanding of the Hebrew use is that it has a root meaning
of being set apart, only secondarily the theological meaning of being
sanctified. However, as Tanakh is primarily a theological tome, the
theological meaning vastly predominates in numbers of uses.

A few places, such as Exodus 19:5 or Ezra 9:2 are borderline cases, where
the idea of set apartness and sanctification seem equally applicable, while
Lamentations 4:1 in its context refers to stones that are valuable (like
diamonds) hence set apart, not to sanctification.

A similar situation exists with X+) “to err”, i.e. “to miss the target”. but
only in Judges 20:16 is it clear that it does not carry the theological
meaning (though as I read the text, there are a few, very few, other places
where I think the meaning of erring fits better than sinning).

I have not made a systematic study on this question (there are well over 600
verses that contain some variation on QD$) but it is just something I have
noticed while reading the text that sometimes the context carries the idea
of set apartness equally or more so than the idea of sacredness.

Karl W. Randolph.