b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:41:15 +0000

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 7:35 PM, David Hamuel wrote:

>> It's not the same word in the sense of meaning.  The first means
> "finished."  The second means "locked up."
>
> Really? I didn't know that. Get rid of the dagesh — what we have now?

David, I was just adding that since I felt your point on these words
was not clear, and it might be interpreted as if saying that it's the
exact same word. I'm sure you did know that, just what you said
was ambiguous. I also realize it is a good example of a minimal
pair. It came up in my search for such words from which I took the
ones that I posted, but I limited myself because there were just too
many examples.

Yitzhak Sapir