b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Unicode/XML Westminster Leningrad Codex minor modifications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Hamuel <davidhamuel AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Unicode/XML Westminster Leningrad Codex minor modifications
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:07:00 -0800 (PST)

Kirk,

> We would expect a conjunctive accent (mahpakh) here instead of a
> disjunctive (yetiv), which would be very strange.

There are 11 cases where yetiv is followed immediately by pashta. The
Masorah:
יא בטע לאחור that said, 11 cases with the accent backwords, or to the right.
Prof. Yeivin, page 199:
"When yetiv comes immediately before pashta, however, it can easily be taken
for mehuppak. For this reason the Masorah lists the eleven cases where this
occurs.
1. Lev 5:2
2. Dt 1:4
3. Is 5:24
4. Is 30:32
5. Jer 16:12
6. Jer 22:30
7. Jer 14:14
8. Dan 2:10
9. Dan 7:27
10. Ezra 6:8
11. Ezra 9:4."

That is why BHS is wrong. JPS is wrong. Compare it to the edition by Prof.
Dotan & Prof. Breuer.

> BHS prints it the same way.

There's no doubt that BHS is a great source, but still there're a lot of
errors, mistakes. For example, Isa. 26:1 -- עז-לנו The circellus is printed
between the two words (and not above the word עז!!!) and the note:
ל וחד מן ב זקף קמץ . See the L Masorah & Ginsburg — vol 3. page 382,
section # 244:
עז ב' וסימ' ... וכל אתנח' וכל סוף פיס' דכות . From where the note ל וחד מן
ב זקף קמץ came from?

So, I don't worry too much if I "see that the ta'am begins precisely at the
beginning of the kaf." They didn't have Adobe InDesign ME and Diacritic
Positioning :^)

Best,

David Hamuel
Type Designer
Biblical Hebrew, Grammar & Cantillation Expert

Los Angeles, CA — USA