b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 23 [was: Historical memory]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 23 [was: Historical memory]
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:51:28 +1300

Harold wrote:

> HH: Maybe it is the translation I am using. Here is verse 9 of
> Deuteronomy 23:

I had a closer look at this last night and I agree with you now. There are
samekhs in the Hebrew text which divide the laws into groups. I think my
point still stands. If we look at the wider context this is the final speech
of Moses before he dies and the Israelites will soon cross the Jordan. The
near future to them was military action. These verses do not seem to
presuppose a large group of fighting men which are spoken about in other
passages.

A couple more places which easily spring to mind where the Israelites seem
to be quite a small group are Ex 1:15 where Shiprah is listed a ha`achath
(the first) and Puah as hashenith (the second). Two midwives seem to imply a
small population. The second is Ex 24:3 where Moses relates the covenant to
the people and they answer with qol echad, one voice. Again this is feasible
if he is talking to a small band of Israelites but not workable if there
were vast numbers of people there.

Bill Rea Ph.D., ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 23 [was: Historical memory], Bill Rea, 02/09/2009