b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Deut 23 [was: Historical memory]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Deut 23 [was: Historical memory]
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:48:26 -0600

Bill,
HH: If you look at the passage carefully, you will see that it is not
talking about the whole camp of Israel, women and children and the aged
included, but it is talking about a military expedition that is camped
against an enemy. That is clear from verses 9 and 14:

I disagree that this is clear. This chapter, understanding that the chapter
divisions are not original, seems to be an eclectic collection of laws. The
way I read it, the connection between verse 9 and 10 is anything but clear.
I think its possible to read verse 9 as a law on its own. One thing which is
against reading it as a set of instructions for military action is verse 10.
Putting a man outside the camp all day during a military campaign makes him
a sitting duck for the enemies.

HH: Maybe it is the translation I am using. Here is verse 9 of Deuteronomy 23:

CSB Deut 23:9 "When you are encamped against your enemies, be careful to avoid anything offensive.

NIV Deut 23:9 When you are encamped against your enemies, keep away from everything impure.

NRSV Deut 23:9 When you are encamped against your enemies you shall guard against any impropriety.

HH: It is the following verses that show what sort of offensive, or evil, thing the Lord is talking about. Also, in Hebrew the verb "encamped" is literally "when you go out a camp." The same word "camp" is used in verses 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14. Also, the theme of war against enemies is in verses 9 and 14. And verse 14 continues the same themes that are present in the previous verses.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard