b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] Historical memory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] Historical memory
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:15:13 +1300

Harold wrote:

> HH: If you look at the passage carefully, you will see that it is not
> talking about the whole camp of Israel, women and children and the aged
> included, but it is talking about a military expedition that is camped
> against an enemy. That is clear from verses 9 and 14:

I disagree that this is clear. This chapter, understanding that the chapter
divisions are not original, seems to be an eclectic collection of laws. The
way I read it, the connection between verse 9 and 10 is anything but clear.
I think its possible to read verse 9 as a law on its own. One thing which is
against reading it as a set of instructions for military action is verse 10.
Putting a man outside the camp all day during a military campaign makes him
a sitting duck for the enemies.

Bill Rea Ph.D., ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'