b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Iron and Curses in Deuteronomy 28

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Iron and Curses in Deuteronomy 28
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 15:45:29 +1100

Iron was in use from a very early time - well before the Iron Age itself.
However, what distinguishes the Iron Age from the previous periods is that
the Iron Age saw the dissemination of how to smelt iron at very high
temperatures. This allowed for the production of toughened iron - what it is
effectively steel. And it is this which revolutionised the ancient Near East.
Before this time, iron would not have been a very strong material to use,
certainly not in standard weaponry and construction tools.

In my opinion, the injunction not to use iron tools on altars was not to
avoid foreign influence, but rather to use naturally shaped stone. It is an
attempt to avoid human influence over the deity's property. This is also why
certain materials are branded QD$ LYHWH (holy to Yahweh).

As for the connections between Deuteronomy and the curses in Esarhaddon's
treaty, I don't think there is a direct connection. Execrations are rather
formulaic and therefore would be very well known in wide quarters. I don't
think, therefore, there is a documentary connection. Rather, it is a cultural
connection.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au