b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ANE Chronology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ANE Chronology
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:00:45 EST

Hi, All:

Could someone refresh our collective memory on what topics are kosher on
B-Hebrew? Is this list intended for discussion of linguistics only... or does
it
also include philology, i.e. study of the Biblical texts as literature... or
does it also include the historical and theological contexts?

Cheers,
Ted Brownstein
=============

In a message dated 2/4/2009 7:24:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pbekins AT fuse.net writes:

Karl wrote:

> With ANE history so %$#@!d up, depending on which historian you
> ask, was
> Ugaritic 1400 BC, or as late as after 600 BC? That takes in the
> whole swath
> from Joshua's invasion, to the Babylonian Exile. So what is the
> approximate
> date?

Karl, this is moving slightly off topic of B-Hebrew, but so has
everything else the last couple of weeks. Who dates Ugarit to 600 BCE
and what exactly is their argument? I was unaware of serious
disagreement over the date of Ugarit.

Peter Bekins