b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "daughter of Zion" [was: (bless? curse?) in the Book of Job]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "daughter of Zion" [was: (bless? curse?) in the Book of Job]
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:20:36 -0600

Doug,
Matt 23:37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and
stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your
children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you
were not willing!

Harold couldnt that be like "washington washington" , as in your comparison to the US

HH: It could be.

HH: Zion represents Jerusalem, but Jerusalem as the capital represents
the nation. The citizens are described as the children in Isaiah 66,
with the city being the mother:

Harold what translation is this , gives the breasts a good run eh , stirring reading ,

HH: It was the Holman Christian Standard Bible. In Hebrew the two words for breast are different, and one lexicon gives "nipple" for the second one. That is the meaning of the word in vulgar Arabic, according to my Hebrew dictionary.

In Rom 9:24-27 Paul quotes Hosea 1:11 as to the gentile inclusion and which refers to the "sons of the living God" , is Paul , do you think , saying that the third child Lo-Ammi who represents these sons of the living God is the gentile inclusion. And who represents the "My people and Mercy is shown" of Hos 1:1, could they be the "sons of the living God" and thus the church.

HH: Paul is redirecting OT words that in their original context had a different meaning. He is using them in a literary way. In Hosea the words are talking about the northern kingdom of Israel:

Hosa 1:6 She conceived again and gave birth to a daughter, and the LORD said to him: Name her No Compassion, for I will no longer have compassion on the house of Israel. I will certainly take them away. 7 But I will have compassion on the house of Judah, and I will deliver them by the LORD their God. I will not deliver them by bow, sword, or war, or by horses and cavalry. 8 After Gomer had weaned No Compassion, she conceived and gave birth to a son. 9 Then the LORD said: Name him Not My People, for you are not My people, and I will not be your God. 10 Yet the number of the Israelites will be like the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured or counted. And in the place where they were told: You are not My people, they will be called: Sons of the living God. 11 And the Judeans and the Israelites will be gathered together. They will appoint for themselves a single ruler, and go up from the land. For the day of Jezreel will be great.

HH: Note that verse 11 distinguishes between the Judeans and the Israelites. The Israelites are those in the northern kingdom. They will not be a people because in 722 B.C. the northern kingdom came to an end and the people were taken into captivity by the Assyrians, who transported them to other nations, never to return to Israel. Hosea prophesied in the last days of the northern kingdom, during Jeroboam's reign (Hos 1:1), or some time within 793-753 B.C.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard