b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] barak (bless? curse?) in the Book of Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] barak (bless? curse?) in the Book of Job
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:38:02 -0600

Folks,

I did not know how to add attribution to that last post, but the study paper on a critical evaluation of the Massoretic text can be found here:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:XONBPN4z6cgJ:www.friendsofsabbath.org/ABC/Bible/Old_Testament_Survey.pdf+euphemism+Job+1:11+hebrew&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

These are papers and theses by certain people in the Worldwide Church of God, not a necessarily trustworthy source.

But if you look in the apparatus of Biblica Hebraica Stuttgartensia, you see that the editors likewise saw Job 1:5, 11; 2:5, 9 in this way. However the editors leave open, and I should too, the issue of whether the use of BRK is a scribal correction or a euphemistic use of the word in the original.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard