b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew synonym literature

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew synonym literature
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:40:06 -0800

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Kirk Lowery <klowery AT whi.wts.edu> wrote:

> I don't usually work in the area of lexicography, but this past week a
> question
> has come up regarding Hebrew synonyms.
>
> Apart from the standard lexica, what are the best sources for this subject?
> Are
> there dictionaries of Biblical Hebrew synonyms?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Kirk
> --

While I have not made a systematic look for synonyms, when writing my
dictionary for my personal studies, I compared synonyms as part of trying to
understand word meanings. I have over 1700 synonym links listed.

I hesitate to push my work as a definitive source, as synonyms were listed
only as an aid to lexicography.