b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jacob-El

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "G. Zack" <atdgz AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jacob-El
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:54:00 +0000

Isaac,

I am amazed at your statement.

Without citing a host of clear counter examples from the entire ancient
Middle East (and for centuries later throughout Europe), let alone other,
unrelated cultures, and as analyzed in great detail by, e.g., experts of
ancient Semite languages (Cross, Alt and others) it is quite evident, as one
common example, that names containing references to deities and their
wishful or thanked-for "involvement" in the named individual's very-being
abound (names containing il or )el, Yo, Ywo etc. as well as other deities,
such as Ba'al etc.).

Perhaps I miss the point. If you meant that a name is grammatically,
linguistically not a sentence, this all will grant as self evident and
fundamental truism of those disciplines.

But if you deny intended meaningfulness in combining meaningful units into a
single label of a meaningful positing of an idea etc.--I doubt anyone would
support that.

I'd rather believe that I missed your argument altogether...

Gad Za"k