b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Recommended Dictionary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Recommended Dictionary
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:06:34 -0500

Mary,

There are lots and lots of Hebrew first year grammars out there, and all
of them have advantages and disadvantages. Here are some favorites, in
no particular order:

1. Basics of Biblical Hebrew: Grammar Pratico & van Pelt
Zondervan
Zondervan has a series of other titles to complement this,
including flashcards (the flashcards are keyed to Pratico, Futato, Seow,
and Ross, so you could use them for any of the first 4 here)

2. Beginning Biblical Hebrew Futato Eisenbrauns
Answers to the exercises are in the back of the book

3. A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew Seow Abingdon
There is an annotated key available for this one

4. Introducing Biblical Hebrew Ross Baker

5. Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar Kelley Eerdmans

I would suggest avoiding Weingreen (too old), Lambdin (too expensive).

All 5 of them are suitable for self-study, provided you are motivated :)

Hope that helps,
James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division