b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pictures of the Recent Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Matthew Dent <dentm42 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pictures of the Recent Inscription
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:52:09 -0800 (PST)

Here's a summary of some of the info I've gathered on the inscription. It's
an exciting find, and there are certainly other interesting and significant
finds at the site.

I happen to be the student of a member of the core group digging at the site.
He was the 3rd or 4th person to handle the item after it was discovered to
contain writing. He is also the photographer as well as the record keeper
for the dig.

After news of the inscription broke, he presented some info regarding it to
our graduate class along with a number of pictures - including some pictures
by the museum handling the piece. Even in the best of those images, done
under very controlled circumstances with every effort to bring out detail,
seeing the basic shapes of most of the letters was nearly impossible.

No doubt there are other enhanced photographs that have been made that I
haven't seen, but from what I have pieced together through that presentation,
there is currently no single photograph available that provides the necessary
detail to read the inscription easily. It will likely require various
manipulations and composites of several photos to make it readable.

Reuters and the Jerusalem Post report that they have been able to read 3
words - "judge," "slave," and "king" on the piece, so they must be fairly
certain of the language used. It's certainly an interesting trio of words to
be found in the 50-100 characters on the piece.

Dr. Garfinkel is presenting at ASOR. His original presentation is listed
under Individual Submissions II (11/20/2008): Yosef Garfinkel (Hebrew
University of Jerusalem) and Saar Ganor (Hebrew University of Jerusalem), “Is
Khirbet Qeiyafa Biblical Azeka?” (15 min.) - although now that news has
broken about the inscription, there's no telling if that will be the
presentation or not.

I was told he will be presenting elsewhere, but my notes don't have the
information and I wasn't able to find it online.

LINKS:
Reuters Article:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE49T52A20081030
ASOR Program Link:
http://www.asor.org/AM/academic08PG.html
Finds from the Site:
http://www.elahfortress.com/page18/page13/page13.html
Jerusalem Post Article: (you may need to cut & paste this link)

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1225199605535&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

--
Matthew Dent