b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pictures of the Recent Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pictures of the Recent Inscription
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:02:58 +1300

Rev Bryant wrote:

> For list members you may want to see the following article on URL:
> http://jwest.wordpress.com/2008/10/30/on-the-khirbet-qeiyafa-find-by-barnea-se
> lavan/

This wasn't very informative. It used a lot of words but didn't say much. I
expect we will have to wait until the science is done and published before
we outsiders get to know much.

> It appears from several reports that many theories about the early monarchy
> will
> definitely need to be revised considering what evidence has already
> appeared.
> But more information will definitely be forthcoming.
>
> According to John Hobbins at Ancient Hebrew Poetry,
>
> "I note that minimalists are already framing the debate without regard
> the evidence in hand, but in relation to those they love to hate, i.e., the
> maximalists. For its part, the evidence does not confirm maximalism.
> However,
> it
> disconfirms a series of theses minimalists have touted for decades. This is
> very important discovery. As I've suggested before, minimalism will go down
> in
> the annals of scholarship as a classic case of over-reach."

Can you provide a link or reference to the article you've pulled this quote
from?

Thanks

Bill Rea Ph.D., ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'