b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron: The Linguistic Search for the Patriarchs' Bronze Age "Hebron"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron: The Linguistic Search for the Patriarchs' Bronze Age "Hebron"
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:14:54 +1100

Jim,

I have only bothered reading the first part of your very long response, so
I'm only responding to that.

You have completely misunderstood my argument. I am not arguing that there
was a Hebron before there was a Hebron. I am not arguing that there was a
Hebron before the Iron Age. What I am arguing is that when the text uses
"Hebron" it means "Hebron". Nothing more, nothing less. When Hebron came
about is not of prime interest to me. When the author uses "Hebron", I think
he means "Hebron". To me, that also probably indicates that the text is most
likely to be late, when people were familiar with "Hebron".

Once again, your argument seems to be of the type: "It looks like a duck,
quacks like a duck, feels like a duck, so it must be a 40-ton truck, because
'duck' and 'truck' both end in 'uck'." It's just not reasonable. I can think
of many other words that end in -uck, but I don't think they are germane to
the discussion.

Sorry to be so forthright, but your theories really are spectacularly wild
and singularly unconvincing. If you were to put them into a thesis, I doubt
that a serious institution would consider them.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
Ph: 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100