b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron: The Linguistic Search for the Patriarchs' Bronze Age "Hebron"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron: The Linguistic Search for the Patriarchs' Bronze Age "Hebron"
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:05:36 -0600

On 10 Oct 2008 at 10:18, JimStinehart AT aol.com wrote:

[snip]
> 2. I disagree, however, that "Sharon" has anything to do with "song" or "
> rejoice". That does not make sense for the Plain of Sharon. Most analysts
> agree that "Sharon" means "plain" or "the level place", as the Sharon Plain
> is
> a "plain" that is "level". The logical root word for "Sharon" is thus
> Y$R, meaning "level" or "plain".

Names, in every language, don't necessarily follow any logic. Pere's example
of Liverpool
is a good one. My last name is Washburn, which is an old English term
meaning "fuller's
stream" even though, until I looked it up further, I had no idea what a
"fuller" was. (I thought
it was what I get at an all-you-can-eat buffet.) You keep referring to "most
analysts" but the
only ones you've actually cited are Gesenius and Strong, and I already
addressed those.
Who else do you have, if anyone? Here you're likely to run into a problem
because many of
these "most" are built off each other rather than off actual direct research.

> As is often the case, a -WN suffix is added
> to make Y$R into a geographical place name (which also means, per your
> analysi
> s, "fulfillment of level"). Usually, though not always (as Karl Randolph
> properly pointed out), H/he is used as a prefix with this name. H + Y$R +
> WN.

No, both Pere and Karl pointed out that the -WN suffix most likely just
makes the word a
noun. Hence, if it was built off Y$R, it could just as easily mean "the
right place." But it
could just as easily be built off $YR as Pere indicated, meaning "singing" or
"rejoicing." You
just keep saying the same thing over and over without offering any further
evidence.

> But as Dave Washburn and I discussed, there is not a single geographical
> place
> name in Biblical Hebrew that begins HY$

If you're going to cite me, do it correctly and add what I actually said:
this little factoid is
meaningless for your argument. That's even more true now that you have
admitted to Pere
that you are probably wrong about the -WN suffix denoting "place."

Why is it meaningless? Because we have a limited corpus of material, and
there is plenty
that we don't know about the language, the region, and the history,
especially when it
comes to place names and such. There may well have been such a "geographical
place
name" (if we must use the redundancy) that began in such a way and it simply
hasn't been
preserved. Or there may not have been, but in terms of your linguistic
arguments such a
thing has no significance.

The rest of this material, and especially the speculation about H/X and all
that, is so lame
that I can't even think of a good way to address it. I don't mean to sound
snide, but you're
getting nowhere. As Karl said, you came her asking for opinions about your
linguistic
arguments from people who know more about it than you do. You have gotten
those
opinions and the reasons behind them. I suggest you take them to heart and
realize you're
heading down a wrong path with this stuff.

As I often tell my kids, if you don't really want to know the answer to a
question, don't ask it.

I apologize if I crossed a line of civility here. I'll shut up now and won't
respond to this topic
any further unless directly challenged.

Dave Washburn
"I'll hold the nail. And when I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer."