b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6(5) and vav-consecutive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stephen & Rebecca Shead" <srshead AT gmail.com>
  • To: <steve AT voiceInWilderness.info>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6(5) and vav-consecutive
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:16:04 -0400

Steve,

My points below do not correspond with yours, but here are my 2 cents'
worth...

1. I agree with Ted that the fall is NOT on view at all in Psalm 8.
Consider:

- the creation of the heavens in v.4, which forms the context of the
consideration of humanity's special status,
- the parallelism of 8:6a and b (Ted's point),
- the clear allusion in vv.7-9 to Gen 2, with no mention whatsoever of the
disruption of this dominion brought about by the fall.

This last point, I think, is very important. It is fascinating that David
(or the Psalmist) chooses to describe exclusively the idealistic pre-fall
dominion of humanity, without no acknowledgement of the present human
struggle to exercise this lordship in a fallen world. Indeed, it is the
*absence* of reference to Genesis 3 which is striking here. (In the NT, the
writer of Hebrews, in ch.2, draws attention to this feature of the Psalm.)
James Mays (I think? going from memory) says that this pre-fall focus at the
same time gives the Psalm, paradoxically, a forward-looking, eschatological
note.

Conversely, if the fall is on view in v.6a, the absence of present realism
in vv.7-9 would be simply bizarre.

2. As for the piel of XSR "make less (than)" or "cause to lack (compared
with)" in v.6a, I don't think you've sufficiently taken into account the
following M(+ "a little". To be *only* a little less than, or lacking from,
ELOHIM is surely the highest honour! (Compare the subtle difference in
English between "caused him to be *a* little less than" and "caused him to
be little less than" - perhaps the latter is a better translation here?)

3. With the translation of ELOHIM ("God", "gods", "heavenly beings", ...),
it partly depends on how you would translate Genesis 1:26-27 - if indeed
this is on view in Psalm 8:6 (as I think it is). Some observations:

- Even if ELOHIM in Genesis 1:26-27 is translated "gods" or "heavenly
beings", it is undeniable that God himself is at least included in the
ELOHIM there, because of the 1st person pronoun: "Let us make humankind in
OUR image...". That is, ELOHIM cannot refer *only* to angels. How then is
being little less than ELOHIM anything other than an honour? On the
contrary, to claim to be equal with ELOHIM could be considered blasphemy.

- I would argue that Genesis 1:27 at least suggests "God" for ELOHIM,
despite the singular/plural difficulty. The reason is the AB-B'A'
parallelism of Gen 1:27a-b: "ELOHIM made humankind in *his* (sing.) image;
in the image of ELOHIM he made him".

- You said: "Does anyone know of any place in the Bible where someone talks
to God (or anyone) in the 2nd person, and in the same sentence still
addressing God, refers to God in the 3rd person? That lacking, I think the
meaning must be 'gods', not 'God'."

Maybe someone can come up with an instance (I haven't tried hard), but I
think your condition is too restrictive for such a definitive conclusion.
The question is whether we see this kind of phenomenon in BH, or
alternatively whether there are factors which make it plausible in this
context.

In fact, Gen 1:27b may be an instance of something similar: "...in the image
of ELOHIM he (implicitly, ELOHIM) made him". Moreover, if Gen 1:26-27 is on
view in Psalm 8:6, it wouldn't be surprising to see an explicit reference to
ELOHIM, even if this is whom the Psalmist is addressing. In fact, note that
the Psalmist initially addresses him as YHWH (v.2), not ELOHIM. Is the name
variation because YHWH is not the same as ELOHIM here, or because of the
allusion to Gen 1:26-27?

An example which may be closer to what you're looking for is Abraham's
conversation with YHWH in Genesis 18:22-33. Although Abraham initially
addresses YHWH in the 2nd person (v.23), he subsequently addresses him
sometimes as "my/the Lord" (Adonay) with 3rd-person verbs (vv.27,30-32), and
sometimes with 2nd person verbs. Of course, this is a different sort of
"conversation" and a different grammatical construction - but it shows that
such variation in address is indeed possible.

4. The vav-consecutive at the start of Psa 8:6: I'm no expert here, but your
argument is highly speculative. Even if we accept your "the action in v6
follows some implied action" theory, there is an explicit action in the
context which it would more plausibly follow: the creation of the heavens
and of the heavenly bodies in v.4. But I'll leave the syntax for others.

Best regards,
Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile