b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Transliterations from Hebrew to Greek to ? and theMassoretes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin AT bombaxo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Transliterations from Hebrew to Greek to ? and theMassoretes
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:08:44 -0700

Yitzhak wrote:
Why do you think this list signifies segholization?

I write:
I don't think it does. But in comparison with the transliteration scheme of Origen: barasith versus brisith or birsith (note that Epiphanius will have been working with an eta already itacized), we're clearly dealing with the same process of the shortening/sharpening of vowels in the two centuries since Origen's time that segholization is likewise a symptom of.

Regards,
Kevin P. Edgecomb
Berkeley, California