b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Transliterations from Hebrew to Greek to ? and theMassoretes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin AT bombaxo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Transliterations from Hebrew to Greek to ? and theMassoretes
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:33:43 -0700

I thought that looked familiar....

Rev Williams, could you perhaps specify your objections? It's quite apparent in transliterations found in Jerome's works passim, most of which were written in Judea in the late fourth and early fifth centuries, that this segholization was in process there and then. Added to this is the earlier evidence of transliterations in the Greek versions (LXX/OG, etc) where we find for instance, Samson, not Shimshon, etc. And later, we have the Masoretic system fully developed. Things changed over the centuries, and while the specific dates may be hazy, the progress is clear. As the transliterations in the two lists which I presented (from Codex Hierosolymitanus and Epiphanius) are obviously closer to the latter pronunciation than the earlier, as are Jerome's, these should be appropriately placed along that continuum of development right where I placed them, when Epiphanius and Jerome were both known to have worked, in the late fourth and early fifth centuries.

Regards,
Kevin P. Edgecomb
Berkeley, California