b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 3:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: skeptic dude <skepticdude AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 3:7
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:40:40 -0700

Is God admitting to making a false prediction in Jeremiah 3:7?

The more scholarly/formally dynamic translations render this verse as:

NAS Jeremiah 3:7 "And I thought, 'After she has done all these things, she
will return to Me'; but she did not return, and her treacherous sister Judah
saw it.

NAU Jeremiah 3:7 "I thought, 'After she has done all these things she will
return to Me'; but she did not return, and her treacherous sister Judah saw
it.

NRS Jeremiah 3:7 And I thought, "After she has done all this she will return
to me"; but she did not return, and her false sister Judah saw it.

RSV Jeremiah 3:7 And I thought, `After she has done all this she will return
to me'; but she did not return, and her false sister Judah saw it.

NJB Jeremiah 3:7 I thought, "After doing all this she will come back to me."
But she did not come back. Her faithless sister Judah saw this.

However, other translations hide the sense of prediction/optimism about the
future:

Jeremiah 3:7 7 And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto
me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.

NKJ Jeremiah 3:7 "And I said, after she had done all these things, 'Return to
Me.' But she did not return. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.

LXE Jeremiah 3:7 And I said after she had committed all these acts of
fornication, Turn again to me. Yet she returned not. And faithless Juda saw
her faithlessness.

What is the correct sense of the Hebrew? Did God make a prediction (i.e.,
she will return to me), or just a command (i.e, return to me)?

I don't read Hebrew, so I appreciate any comments from those that do,

Thanks.

dave
Instantly invite friends from Facebook and other social networks to join you
on Windows Liveā„¢ Messenger.