b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Targum Frag. of Is 1:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Targum Frag. of Is 1:27
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:20:38 +0000

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Jonathan Henry wrote:
> Yitzhak,
>
> Thanks for addressing a feature that I've been mulling - the absence of the
> waw. I'm taking another look at this passage with your reconstruction in
> mind.
>
> Jon Henry
> Perkasie, PA

I further think now that "they will bring her back" is also the most
appropriate
reading. It creates the best parallelism to "tpdh". The idea of
reading "w$byh"
alludes to the returnees of Zion. It might therefore be the result of an
early
"don't read such, read instead such" midrash developed during the Persian
period.

Yitzhak Sapir