b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Targum Frag. of Is 1:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Targum Frag. of Is 1:27
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:32:51 +0000

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Jonathan Henry wrote:
>> In some Targum manuscripts of Is. 1:27 I find the phrase YSWPNN LH BZKW in
>> place
>> of the MT's W$BYH BCDQH. I have translated the Targum 'those who are
>> consumed
>> for her with merit.' Is there a more preferable translation? I appreciate
>> your assistance.
>
> The Vulgate has a verb here: http://vulgate.org/ot/isaiah_1.htm
> et reducent eam in iustitia = and they shall bring her back in justice
>
> The HUB suggests the source for this translation in the Vulgate is a
> reading "w$bwh".

Having reconsidered, I'd suggest that the rather than the HUB suggested
reconstructed reading for the Vulgate, a more appropriate reading for both
this and the Vulgate is "y$bwh". In other words, the text read a yodh where
the MT has a waw and read a waw where the MT has a yodh. This word
would then be read as either [yashivuha] "they will bring her back" or
[yishbuha] "they will capture her". It will also explain the missing waw in
the Targum.

Yitzhak Sapir