b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] )INH in Exodus 21:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] )INH in Exodus 21:13
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 11:19:51 +0200

Isaac

Thank you for the clarification.

Now that I realize that modern T)UNAH is the same word (I can't imagine
how I missed that)
I also see that the expression L) T(UNH )LYK R(H uses the same root, in
similar negative fashion.

Yaakov (J) Stein

Yaakov,
Everything becomes clear and obvious if you only agree that U and I in a
Hebrew word are personal pronouns or identity markers [essentially HU)
and HI)], and that the radical consonants each denote existence or
plurality. With this, )INAH of Exodus 21:13 becomes HI), namely God,
)ANAH, 'brought into existence, made to be, caused to happen,
materialized, actualized' and by implication 'moved, delivered', from
the root AN-NA.
Hence the present-day T)UNAH = AT-HU)-ANAH, 'accident, happening'.
Isaac Fried, Boston University