b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Wellhausen

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:42:04 -0800 (PST)

Karl,

As the work of Finkelstein and Silberman is mentioned
in this list, you may be interested in a highly critical review
of one of their books in the Israeli magazine Azure.
The review also discusses their former volume.

http://www.azure.org.il/magazine/magazine.asp?id=352

This reviewer has has good arguments. The only weak point in
the article is the anaglogy, brief as it is, to current events.

Also, although he discusses the important issue of
dating wide- spread literacy, he forgot to mention the
important finds of the bullae- hoard by Reich and Shukron.
According to one of the excavators, this predates Hezekiah
by at least a century.

Another aspect to consider in the work of the authors:
how many of their conclusions are strictly speculative.

Happy New Year,

Uri Hurwitz